The History of
the Hardingville Churches...
(From early records and notes kept by Rebecca Zee Jones and assembled
by Liz Franklin)
In the small farming community of Hardingville in the early 1830's, a small group
of believers, who were desirous of spiritual growth in their personal lives, began
to meet in a one room school house just south of Hardingville. It was there that
the Holy Spirit worked and stirred these believers to hunger and thirst after the
Word of God. They learned about the "sinner's doom" and about the "second
death". It was because of the fervor with which these messages were preached,
that those who stood outside and ridiculed named the school "Brimstone."
The small band of believers continued in their
request to learn more about the Scriptures, and in 1865, for $459, they purchased
the property on which the present facilities stand. In the early 1900's, the church
was known as the Siloam Methodist Protestant Church. The first parsonage was built
in 1910, a sanctuary was built in 1957. Because of doctrinal differences, a formal
name change occurred, and the church became known as the Siloam Bible Protestant
Church. A new parsonage was constructed in 1970. The church again made a formal name
change to HardingviIle Bible Church, and a fellowship hall was completed in 1981.
As a result of church growth, an extension to the main auditorium and extensive remodeling
was completed in 1987. In 1989, the church purchased five acres of property adjacent
to the current facilities in anticipation of the Lord's continued blessing.
the years, many pastors served the Hardingville church. Before 1939, the Pastors
who served at Hardingville stayed briefly. During the five year ministry of Rev.
Hibbert, the church came out of the Methodist conference. In 1945, Rev. Jacob Miller
began his ministry and in June of 1952 Rev. Bob Biscoe became pastor. Following Rev.
Biscoe's ministry, Rev. Bill Adams ministered for several years. The 1960's brought
three pastors to Hardingville, Rev. Frank Bruce, Rev, Floyd Mitchell, and Rev. Earl
Booth. Rev, Joe Zearfaus then served for thirteen years, and the church experienced
God's blessing. Rev. Ed Dorrin served for a short time before the present pastor,
Mark Franklin, began his ministry in August 1982.
Before 1865 there were no churches in Hardingville. The services were held
in the homes of the poeple. In 1865 the people gathered together and made plans for
building a church. The residents built a strong church, but after 72 years it began
to show signs of its age. The church congregation could not agree on plans, so a
small group built a church of their own behind the cemetery of the church, but did
not gain enough support to continue services so closed down. The ground breaking
ceremony for a new church was held on June 3, 1956 and is now the Siloam Bible Protestant
Church. Dedication ceremonies were held in May, 1957.
Space provided by
Disk Works of South Jersey
Web design by
Copyright © 1996,1997-1998, Disk Works of South Jersey