Elk Township (on-line)
The History of the
Ferrell Church about "1915"
The "Fairview" M.E. Church was built in 1883. Prior to this time the
residents of this community met for worship in a small building known as "The
Old School House". This building did not stand on the site of the present church,
but about 300 feet northeast, and across the road from the one now standing.
During the summer of 1876, a meeting was called for the purpose of trying to procure
a piece of ground for a burial ground or cemetery. It was proposed to buy 1 1/2 acres
of land from James Lafferty, who offered to sell this amount for the sum of $50.
This being agreed upon, a committee was appointed, consisting of A. N. Morgan, Charles
Nelson, John Porch, Joseph N, Brown and Asa Wiltsee to raise the sum agreed upon
within the next 30 days. At the end of the 30 days, the committee again met having
collected $49.25 of the required $50.00. In order to close the deal, they borrowed
$3.25 to finish paying for the gound, and the writing of the deed.
At a special
meeting on August 25, 1883, the trustees of the Fairview M. E. Church (Thf Old School
House) met. When resolutions were passed by the board authorizing Wm. T. Abbott,
Pastor; Jacob Armstrong, Henry G. Mullica (building committee) to receive bids and
enter into a contract, for the building of a church at Fairview on the southeast
corner of the piece of gound bought for a burial site, according to the plans and
specifications known as (no. 19 Church Extension Society). About two months later,
the trustees again met to see about selling the old church building.They agreed to
sell the building af ter reserving six seats and the desk, lamp and fixtures, hinges
and lock on the cellar door, also the boards in the cellar, for the sum of $40.
Mr. Charles H. Pancoast agreed to buy the building for the sum of $40, and settle
for the same on or before November 3rd, 1883. It was further agreed that the gound
upon which the building was located, with the timber standing upon it, after reserving
the horsesheds be worth $50. About November 8 of the same year, they reconsidered
their selling price of the gound, and sold it without reserve for the sum of $42.50
to John Henry Frye.
A committee was appointed to solicit subscriptions consisting
of James L. Nelson, Alpheus M. Morgan and Mary Smith, toward raising money for the
The amount required by the discipline being secured, the contract
for building the church (No. 19 Church Extension Plan) was awarded to Gee. W. Bloodgood,
he being the lowest bidder. The contract price being $900, the committee furnishing
the weather boarding. The weather boards were donated by Wm. A. Wood, Esq., of Whiglane.
The contract bears the date of September 1st, 1883.
The cornerstone was laid
with appropriate services by the Rev. Wm. Walton, presiding elder, assisted by the
Pastor, the Rev. Wm. T. Abbott. The church was dedicated January 22nd, 1884, by the
Presiding elder, aftera sermon of the Rev. S. S. Weatherby, of Glassboro. At this
service the pastor made the statement that the church including furniture and bell
The furniture was secured by subscriptions, in the hands of Mary
Jane Abbott. The bell was secured in the name of Henry G. Mullica, and others of
the Sunday School. The Bible was donated by the Broadway M. E. Church of Salem, New
The balance needed to free the church from debt was $243. At the dedication
sercice the presiding elder gave $75 of this amount. On March 5th, the trustees gave
their note in Swedesboro Bank for the balance. It being covered by subscription at
The first board of trustees of which we have record are as follows:
John C. Nelson, president: James L. Nelson, treasurer. E .P. Roork, secretary: Jacob
Armstrong, Wade B. Mulford. The pastor being Wm. T. Abbott . By the year 1889 the
trustees and others felt it necessary to put blinds on the church, also paint the
building which was voted upon,and carried. This cost being $52.91.
year 1891, the name of Fairview was changed to Ferrell.
On November 6, 1893,
the property known as the Charles Alfred property, and joining the church was bought
for $125. The house to be torn down, and the lumber used for horse sheds. The lumber
not needed to be sold at public auction.
Sometime during the year of 1894, an
organ was purchased to be used in church services. This seemed to meet with the approval
of some, while a few others deemed it unwise and worldly.
For the next few years
everything seemed to move along in a rather orderly fashion. The Church and Sunday
School progressing and great interest being shown.
In the year 1906 a great sorrow
came to our church in the drath of its pastor, the Rev. T. H. Asay. The Rev. Asay
was held in high esteem by all who knew him.
Following him was Rev. L. F. Bausman.
During his stay of four years with us, the church again took another stride foward
by installing a heater in the cellar, and buying new lamps. Previous to this the
heating system was a coal stove in the larger part of the church, and a wood stove
in the classroom. The church was painted inside and out by a Mr. Chappman from Harrisonville,
and a new roof was put on.
In 1918 a new lighting system was installed known
as the acetylene gas, costing $272.75. This was a great improvement over the kerosene
A few years later, about 1923, a piece of ground in front of the church
containing 5 acres was bought from Mulford Latfferty, by the church for the sum of
$500. This being paid for, the next step was to erect a church hall or community
In 1928 a new building estimated at a worth of $3000 was built, being
paid for in full by the community at largc, the Church and the Ladie's Aid Society
of the Church. Electric lights were installed, both in the church and hall, which
was a still greater improvement to our lighting system.
The pasters prior to 1933
were as follows:
Wm. T. Abbott
C. S. Miller
I. B. Whitton
Jos. S. Moore
T. H. Asay
L. F. Bausman
Edgar R. Craig
J. O. R. Corliss
E. M. Munyan
Warren W. Churchill
J. P. Langley
L. B. Henderson
L. V. Brewin
B. F. Crane
Previous history indicated activities
till 1935, taken from the anniversary history, however in recent years, many improvements
have taken place.
In 1949 several Sunday School rooms were added to the church,
and in 1950-1951 Harrisonville and Ferrell were joined together as a circuit. During
the 1950's an organ & piano were purchased in memory of Mary Jant Brown. The
church was originally incorporated under the name of Fairview Methodist, but in 1960
it was decided to change the name to Ferrell Methodist.
With the enlarging of
the congregation and Sunday School, it was decided in 1961 to make the basement into
Sunday School rooms. Also the small building that originally sat along side of the
church was sold to Albert Ziennker.
Following is the chronological order of pastors
1934 - B. F. Crane
1935 - H. E. Braosn
1943 - F. R. Creekmore
- R. G. Morgan
1950 - S. F. Sliker
1954 - A. F. Moore
1956 - Thomas Naglee
- Robert Smith
1963 - Harold Coles
1966 - Clarence Wilson
1968 - Kenneth
1971 - Thomas Wright
1972 - Thomas Panico
The community hall was
built by the people of the community, but was located on church property. It was
decided in 1965 to either dispose of the property or repair it. The matter was discussed
with the district superintendent, and the church finally decided to take it over
and start to improve it. In 1967 a new heater was installed, and in 1969 a new roof
and new well were added. In 1973 the "Church Hall" was painted, and remoldeling
was started. New flooring was completed and two new lavatories added in 1975. Plans
are in the offing to begin plans for remodeling the kitchen.
Through the years
Ferrell has been growing. Lake Gilman has many permanent homes, the Lakeview Park
accomodates approximately 195 families and many new homes are being added constantly.
Ferell has a volunteer fire company which was organized in 1945, and has expanded
till now there is also ambulance serve to service the resident of Elk Township.
Ferrell Church about "1976"
Web Site Hosting
Disk Works of South Jersey
Page design by
Copyright © 1996-1997, Disk Works of South Jersey
All Rights Reserved.