The Pavilion at the Lake...
Lake Garrison located on Route #553 in
Elk Township represents in reality what began as a man`s dream. Mr.and Mrs.John Garrison
operated a grocery store in Pitman, N.J. On his business travels from Pitman to Elmer,
Mr.Garrison would pass a huge cranberry bog on a site called Kindall`s Sawmill. Mrs.Josie
Feltman , a lake resident for almost 41 years recalls that Mr.Garrison told of one
night having a dream where he made a beautiful lake from that cranberry bog .
He bought the land from E .Ireland of Woodbury and moved there with his wife
Cora and two daughters, Leona and Evelyn. In May 1935, Decoration Day the lake was
officially opened . John Garrison built all the existing log cabins that are around
the lake . The Garrison family owned the lake for 11 years and after Mr.Garrison`s
death in 1944 the property was sold in 1947 to the Garrison Lake Stockholders Corp.
Countless people have enjoyed swimming , boating , ice skating , baseball and
the beautiful picnic areas . The lake residents hold many events such as peach festivals
, land carnivals , house decorations for prizes , water carnivals , Miss Lake Garrison
contests , ect. Church and Sunday School are held in the summer . There are over
100 families who make Lake Garrison their home in the summer.
If anyone has any up-dates that they can add to this page feel free to get
in touch with this web site...Thank You..
Space provided by
Disk Works of South Jersey
Page design by
Copyright © 1996-1997, Disk Works of South Jersey
All Rights Reserved....